To commemorate the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe, Parliament has curated material from its archives.
Visit www.parliament.uk/ww2 to explore key legislation, famous speeches and the story of reconstructing the House of Commons Chamber after the bomb damage.
There are some fantastic videos and resources available for teachers and parents, which are suitable for home school or classroom environment.
🖍 Primary Pupils: https://learning.parliament.uk/…/uk-parliament-and-world-wa…
📚 Secondary students: https://learning.parliament.uk/…/uk-parliament-and-world-wa…
Celebrations will be different this year. On Friday 8th May we will celebrate the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe (VE Day) and during this challenging time, we will not be able to mark the day in the way we had intended, however there are many other ways that we can pay our respects.
- 11am - The Royal British Legion is calling on people across the UK to join in a moment of Reflection and Remembrance and pause for a Two Minute Silence.
- If you have children, take part in creative activities including making bunting and posters to decorate your homes and display them in their front windows using the toolkit on the Government's website: https://ve-vjday75.gov.uk/
- To commemorate the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe, Parliament has curated material from its archives. Visit www.parliament.uk/ww2 to explore key legislation, famous speeches & the story of reconstructing the House of Commons Chamber after the bomb damage.
- UK historical records available on ancestry.co.uk will be free until Sunday 10 May, giving people the opportunity to uncover the personal stories of the Second World War and the roles their families played.
- Share any drawings or pictures on social media using the hashtag #VEDay75
- Hold a 1940s style afternoon tea party at home with those in your household. https://ve-vjday75.gov.uk/plan-your-ve-day-party/
- 3pm - Tune in to the BBC to watch the VE Day 75 special broadcasts which will include extracts from Churchill’s famous victory speech and Her Majesty The Queen.
- 9pm - A UK wide singalong ‘We’ll Meet Again https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/stories/ve-day-singalong
Please remember to follow social distancing rules. Stay home, protect the NHS and save lives.